Electronic Press Kit
Bio (100 words)
Part virtuoso and part storyteller, you might say that Jacob Johnson does with a guitar what Gene Kelly did with dance. Although his songwriting has won awards and his guitar-playing has put him on stage with Tommy Emmanuel and Phil Keaggy, his ability as an entertainer is what has won fans throughout the southeast. He refers to himself as "a ham that just wants to be on stage" but he’s much more than that. Jacob is an amazingly talented guitarist and songwriter which, combined with a bit of a personality, makes for a wildly impressive stage performance.
- 2017 Freshgrass No Depression Songwriter Award - Top 5 Finalist
- 2016 "Emerging Artist" Falcon Ridge Folk Festival
- 2016 "NERFA" Official Showcase Artist
- 2014 & 2015 Featured Performer Walnut Valley Festival (Winfield, KS)
- 2015 "Folkstage Live" concert broadcast, WFMT Chicago
- 2015 Featured Performer Wildflower Festival (Richardson, TX)
- Winner 2012 Nashville Connection: Hero’s Salute
“Songwriter of the Year
- 2014 Presenter TEDXGreenville (Greenville, SC)
- Official Showcase Artist - Folk Alliance International 2015 (Kansas City, MO)
- Official Showcase Artist SERFA/NERFA One-Day Conference 2014 (Charlottesville, VA)
- Official Showcase Artist SWRFA 2011 (Austin, TX)
- Over 100,000 views on youtube
- Has toured or performed with: Tommy Emmanuel, Frank Vignola, Edwin McCain, David Wilcox, Zac Brown Band, Victor Wooten, Tim Reynolds, Darryl Worley, Paula Cole and more!
Chim Chim Cheree
The Ferryboat Waltz (original)
- "Jacob rocks!"
- "The audience was really into your show! …You are a remarkable performer."
- Phil Keaggy
- "Jacob’s album “One-Take Jake” is filled with crystalline, pyrotechnical guitar playing but he has infused his performance with personality.It runs right down his arms into his fingers, onto the strings -- missing not a grain of warmth and meticulous guitar-spirit. The guitar is not just an instrument in the hands of Jacob Johnson – it’s his soul-mate."
- No Depression
- "Johnson sounds like Norman Rockwell paintings and the open road. He is a virtuoso, expressing a working comprehension of dozens of techniques and styles. He has blended and blurred the lines of genres to craft a sound he calls 'Neo-Acoustic Folk/Funk'."
- The Florence Morning News (Florence, SC)
- "Jacob is a great performer who has a way with words that will cause even the most curmudgeonly person to grin. The world needs more talent like this."
- Mossip Music Blog
- “He's all over the place. Influenced by technical masters like Pat Metheny and fellow southerner Kaki King, he has developed an approach that requires tight coordination of both hands as he slaps and taps the neck of his instrument."-
The Gazette (Rockville, MD)
- "He surrenders to the passion that drives his guitar playing... Very entertaining and inspiring."
- Maine Music Blog
- "Part of the new breed of folk musicians who make their own rules"
-The Savannah Morning News (Savannah, GA)